Sunday, January 3, 2010

You’re off to Great Places in 2010

Rebekah, as the main author of the family blog, has been asking me when I might actually decide to post something. I’ve got a high standard to try to achieve, since she does such a great job with the blog.

I was originally thinking that writing something about how last year was a turbulent year for many people would be appropriate, and also how 2010 will be better. Then, incidentally, my daughter went over to the book bin under my nightstand this morning and reshuffled a dozen books all over the floor.

That’s not uncommon – probably a lack of supervision on my part – however I noticed that among the strategically-strewn pile was a hardcover copy of Oh, the Places You’ll Go!

We often hear the Dr. Seuss story quoted with friends and family, particularly around graduation times, since it was written as a graduation speech.

I plucked the book from the carpet, put the paper jacket back on, and then read it from cover-to-cover three times. I hadn’t touched it since…my last graduation.

If you haven’t read it in awhile (text is here) it might be worth five minutes of your time. Among a world that’s “always-on” and information-driven around-the-clock, I found it to be surprisingly simple, once again. Such a quick-read somehow captured the essence of life’s “Great Balancing Act,” while keeping the big picture of the entire journey in perspective.

One of my favorite pages was the last page. Here it is:

So…
Be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
Or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O’Shea,
You’re off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So…get on your way!

No matter what 2010 brings you – and hopefully all good things, naturally – best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year! You’re off to great places and to accomplish great things.

-Scott

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin